Genomic Science Program is in the DOE Office of Science Biological and Environmental
About the DOE Biological and Environmental Research Program
Advance world-class biological and environmental research
and provide scientific user facilities to support Department of Energy missions
in scientific discovery and innovation, energy security, and environmental
Understand complex biological and environmental
systems across many spatial and temporal scales.
- Leverage diverse scientific insights by coupling theory, observations,
experiments, models, and simulations.
- Support interdisciplinary research that engages scientists from
national laboratories, academia, and industry.
BSSD aims to achieve a predictive understanding of complex
biological systems with potential use in bioenergy, carbon cycling, and biogeochemistry.
BSSD research activities include
Using genomics and systems biology to understand plants and
- Supporting DOE Bioenergy Research Centers to provide transformational
breakthroughs in cellulosic biofuels.
- Developing real-time, high-resolution technologies for analyzing
dynamic biological processes.
CESD aims to achieve a predictive understanding of climate
change, ecosystem response to climate change, and contaminant fate and
transport in the subsurface.
CESD research activities include
- Resolving the greatest uncertainties in climate change.
- Improving the world’s most powerful climate models.
- Providing the science to inform environmental remediation strategies.
- Working to understand carbon cycling in terrestrial systems.